Executive Chef Takashi Ito shares his Sake & Scallop Sunomono Salad recipe and Miso-Kasu Marinade.
Sake & Scallop Sunomono Salad
Serves 6 people
90ml Granville Island Sparkling Sake
200g Daikon, peeled, julienned
200g Carrot, peeled, julienned
6 Edamame beans, shelled, skinned and split
12 Canadian scallops, scored
12 pieces Organic pea shoots
Grapeseed or canola oil
Fresh black pepper, cracked
Pickling Liquid Recipe:
100ml Rice wine vinegar
50g White sugar
1 tsp Lemon juice
- Combine all pickling liquid ingredients in a pot and heat until sugar is dissolved. Cool in refrigerator.
- Combine carrot, daikon and edamame beans, add to pickling liquid for 4 hours.
- Remove the adductor muscle from scallops, score the tops of the scallops in a crosshatch pattern.
- Season scallops with sea/Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- In a hot frying pan with oil, sear scallops until lightly browned on one side. Quickly flip over for five seconds, then remove from pan and refrigerate.
- When the pickled ingredients are ready, strain and arrange into martini glasses starting with the daikon, carrot and then edamame beans.
- Pour the Granville Island Sparkling Sake over the vegetables until just covered.
- Place scallops on top of vegetables and garnish with trimmed pea shoots.
Miso-Kasu Marinade for Sable Fish
Serves 6 people
75 ml Kasu
50 ml Red miso
50 ml Water
15 ml Mirin
20 g Ginger, rough chopped
45 ml Soy sauce
5 ml Cayenne pepper
1/2pc Lemon zest
- Combine all ingredients
- Marinate fish for 4-8hrs in fridge
- Lightly remove excess marinade from fish
- Grill on BBQ or broil fish
Takashi Ito, c.c.c
Executive Chef – Inn at Laurel Point
Can't get enough Aura?